Angry N2 protestors torch car carrier


KwaZulu-Natal’s MEC for Transport, Community Safety and Liaison, Sipho Hlomuka, has condemned the blockading and burning of property on the N2 northbound near Chesterville and Nsimbini on Monday night.

Residents angered by persistent power outages in Nsimbini took to the streets in protest, blockading the highway using rubble, rocks, and burning tyres.

The protesters set alight a truck that was transporting six brand-new motor vehicles.

According to preliminary police reports, the estimated monetary value of the damage is R29million.

Police have opened a case of public violence. No injuries were reported, and arrests have been made.

Hlomuka said: “We cannot condone nor tolerate such acts of public violence and the destruction of property.

“There are available legal avenues to voice whatever concerns the community might have. However, we will not allow anarchy in our province.

We will do whatever it takes to ensure that the rule of law is always maintained.”

He added that regulations on public gatherings allow communities or groups to gather within the prescripts of the law. Still, as soon as they break the law, “police must act and enforce the law swiftly to ensure the safety of other citizens and the safeguarding of essential property like roads.”

eThekwini Metro police and emergency responders worked throughout the night to clear the N2 in Durban after violent protestors set the car carrier truck alight.

Marshall Security community support representative, Andreas Mathias, said protests had erupted on the N2 northbound in Chesterville, where people had blocked the road with burning rubble.

“Metro police officials, together with first responders, have been at the scene throughout the night attending to a car carrier set on fire by protestors from a nearby Chesterville community,” Mathias said.

He said the protests had broken out at around 10 pm on Monday night, according to reports posted on Westville social media security groups. He said the cause for the protests was believed to be related to service delivery complaints.

Mathias said that the road had been opened, and traffic was flowing freely by 8:45 am.

Source link

Recent Posts

Have Any Question?

Feel free to contact us via the following: